Food Services

Food Services  |  Free & Reduced Priced Meals  |  Frequently Asked Questions

Christie Leininger, Food Service Director
412-264-9440 X1129 |

The No. 1 priority of Moon Area School District’s food service program is to provide nutritious, well-balanced meals to all of its students with the focus on quality, variety and appeal.

In order to achieve this goal, we purchase certain products that must meet the child-nutrition criteria (CN label products), or we follow recipes that are approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Free and Reduced breakfast and lunch is available to all who qualify. Learn more about food choices and costs by following the links below.

Summer Food Service Program

Funded in 1968 by the USDA, The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) was created for families and children to have access to nutritious meals during months where school is not in session. After learning that research demonstrates links to nutrition and academic performance, the SFSP was created to bridge the gap between school and summer, to ensure continuous nutrition for all children.

For children 18 and younger, free and nutritious meals are accessible at a number of locations during the summer.

The following resources can help you find the closest meal site:

  • Call 211
  • Call 1-866-3Hungry or 1-877-8Hambre
  • Text "MEALPA" to 877877 (during summer)
  • Visit
  • Or use on your smart phone to find locations

If you have any additional questions regarding the SFSP, please contact Mary Ringenberg at or call 717-783-6501.

Aug/Sept Menus



Meal Prices

  • Student: $1.50
  • Adult: $2.00
  • Elementary Lunch: $2.85
  • Secondary Lunch: $3.00
  • Adult Lunch: $4.00

Elementary Meals  |  Middle School Meals  |  High School Meals


click here for information about Free & Reduced Price Meals

Two-Hour Delay Breakfast Program
There will be a modified breakfast program for all Moon Area students on two hour delay school days.  Students may choose from whole grain low sugar cereals and/or whole grain “mini loafs.”  Fat Free white milk or flavored milk and 100% fruit juice are included with each breakfast. Questions? Please contact Christie Leininger, Food Service Director. 412-264-9440 X1129 or

SchoolCafe - Online meal payment system

Parents have the ability to pay online and manage their child’s account, including spending history, low-balance notification, and spending limit settings.  

There is no fee to enroll or to view cafeteria account balances/statements. A $1.95 convenience fee is charged for each online payment made via Fees can be avoided by sending payment (cash or checks made payable to Moon Area Food Service Fund) to the school to be deposited in the student’s account.

For those who are unable to access, balance inquiries and account statements are available by contacting Christie Leininger at or calling 412-264-9440 ext. 1129.

Moon Area School District's Student Wellness Policy #246 

Comcast Internet Essentials Program

Parents - Bringing the Internet to your home is easy and affordable.  Now you can connect to the Internet at home - for school, work, communicating with others and so much more. Website:

Families with a child who receives reduced price school lunches may be eligible, too – and we’ve increased Internet speeds! To qualify for $9.95 a month Internet service and a low-cost computer, your household must meet all these criteria:

  • Be located where Comcast offers Internet service
  • Have at least one child receiving free or reduced price school lunches through the National School Lunch Program
  • Have not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days
  • Not have an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment. How to apply Call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376) to request an application.

Teaching Students to Eat in a Healthy Way

Healthy eating is following the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

  • Aim for a healthy weight.
  • Be physically active each day.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Eat a variety of foods.
  • Choose a daily diet with a variety of grain products, vegetables and fruit.
  • Choose a diet moderate in sugars and salt.
  • Choose a diet with 30% or less of calories from fat and less than 10% of calories from saturated fat.
  • Chose a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and moderate in total fat.
  • Choose beverages and foods to moderate your intake of sugar.
  • Choose and prepare foods with less salt.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at:, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail:

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Director, Office of Adjudication
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
fax (202) 690-7442 | email

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click here for a listing of hotline numbers by state).