The Moon Area School District is committed to not only quality education but a safe learning environment. The Olweus (pronounced Ol-VAY-us) Program has been implemented throughout the district since the 2011-2012 school year.
McCormick Elementary School's Olweus and Anti-Bullying Videos:
2013-2014: Eye of the Tiger: We're Bully Free!
2012-2013: Under the Sea: We're Bully Free!
2011-2012: "McCormick Rocks: We are Bully Free!"
Pennsylvania Bullying Prevention Toolkit
Olweus Bullying Prevention Program PowerPoint
Cyber Bullying PowerPoint
Bully Bulletin - Issue 1
Bully Bulletin - Issue 3
Tips for Parents: What to Do If Your Child Bullies Others
Tips for Parents: What to Do If Your Child Is Being Bullied
Tips for Parents: What to Do If Your Child Witnesses Bullying
Bullying Prevention - Parent Resource List
The Olweus Bullying Prevention Program is a schoolwide program designed to prevent or reduce bullying throughout the school setting. The multi-component approach involves individuals, classrooms, entire schools, as well as parents and communities, to successfully address bullying in schools.
Outcomes of the Program
Statistics show how successful implementation of the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program can reduce school bullying. Outcomes have included:
- Fifty percent or more reductions in student reports of being bullied and bullying others. Peer and teacher ratings of bullying problems have yielded similar results.
- Significant reductions in student reports of general antisocial behavior such as school bullying, vandalism, school violence, fighting, theft, and truancy.
- Significant improvements in the classroom social climate as reflected in students' reports of improved order and discipline, more positive social relationships, and more positive attitudes toward schoolwork and school.
- Greater support for students who are bullied, and stronger, more effective interventions for students who bully.
Other Benefits of the Program
The Olweus Bullying Prevention Program will also help you meet requirements for these federal mandates or programs that you may already be administering:
- Safe and Drug Free Schools
- School connectedness
- High-stakes testing
- Juvenile delinquency prevention
- School drop-out prevention
- School health programs
- Suicide prevention
- Promotion of developmental assets
- No Child Left Behind
- Character education
- Behavior supports
Read more about outcomes associated with implementing the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program or visit www.olweus.org.
Other Helpful Links www.bullyingpreventioninstitute.org