Dear MASD Families,
Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful winter break. As we prepare to return to school tomorrow, we have received some questions regarding the CDC's updates to their COVID-19 quarantine guidelines.
Moon Area School District is currently operating under our existing Health and Safety Plan. We must follow our plan until if or when there are approved changes. As you probably recall, the school board approved an updated Health and Safety Plan prior to our winter break. However, that plan does not take effect until January 17.
I have outlined a few details from our current Health and Safety Plan that may help answer some questions as we prepare to return to school.
If your child has tested positive for COVID-19:
- Your child must quarantine for a minimum of 10 days.
- Your child must be symptom free from a major cough or fever for 24 hours.
If your child is a close contact and he/she is vaccinated:
- If your child is symptom free, he/she may isolate from the positive exposure and return to school.
- If your child has symptoms, you should assume he/she is positive. Your child can be tested 3-5 days from exposure and return to school if negative.
If your child is a close contact and has not been vaccinated:
- You child should isolate and may return to school after 10 days from exposure if he/she remains symptom free.
- You child should isolate and test after 5 days. If negative, your child may return to school on day 8.
If your child is unable to attend school due to reasons related to COVID-19, please inform your child's school nurse.
Thank you for your cooperation. Wishing you and your family a happy, healthy new year!
Barry J. Balaski
Moon Area School District