The Pennsylvania Department of Education has adopted new Career Education Standards. These new standards require Pennsylvania students to complete a set number of career-based activities by the conclusion of their junior year. To meet these new requirements, all junior students during the 2019-2020 school year will be completing a Career Shadow and Interview Project. The completion of the project is a graduation requirement.
Students may choose any career to shadow. The project will consist of:
- 8 hours of career shadowing
- The professional shadowed may not be an immediate family member, work with an immediate family member, nor be affiliated with Moon Area School District
- A career communication skills unit in English class
- A business/entrepreneur component in Social Studies class
- Preparation of a resume and a cover letter addressed to the interview judges
- A mock interview with members of the business and professional community
- A reflection essay
There will be no Early Starts. An approval process will take place at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year in English class.
The shadowing component will be completed during the school year. Students will receive one NASB day for shadowing, if necessary.
The mock interviews will take place on April 28, 2020.