THIS YEAR ONLY the project is for juniors and seniors. Starting next year, it will be a junior project.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education has adopted new Career Education Standards. These new standards require Pennsylvania students to complete a set number of career-based activities by the conclusion of their junior year. To meet these new requirements, all junior and senior students during the 2018 – 2019 school year will be completing a Career Shadow and Interview Project in place of the former Senior Career Experience Project. Following this school year, this project will be permanently part of the junior year. The completion of the project is a graduation requirement.
Students may choose any career to shadow. The project will consist of:
There will be no early starts. An approval process will take place at the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year in English class.
The shadowing component will be completed during the school year. Students will receive one NASB day for shadowing, if necessary.
The mock interviews will take place on May 21, 2019.
1. Students must complete eight (8) hours of shadowing a professional employee in a career of the student’s choice.
2. The student may not shadow in the following circumstances:
a. A professional who is an immediate family member;
b. A professional who works with an immediate family member;
c. A professional who is affiliated with Moon Area School District.
3. Students may use one (1) NASB day to shadow. The NASB form is available on the Career Shadow and Interview Project link on the MASD website. The NASB form must be submitted at least five (5) days before the requested shadow day.
4. A student may shadow in one eight-hour increment, or in multiple increments. All shadowing does not have to be completed in one session.
5. Students will take notes during the shadowing process. The notes should include observations on the nature of the professional career, insight into the personal characteristics required to complete this type of work, and reflection on the student’s overall impression of the professional position.
6. At the completion of the shadowing, the professional must provide a Shadow Verification Form to the professional the student shadowed.
7. The student will submit a completed Shadow Verification Form to the student’s English teacher. The form may be submitted on or before March 4, 2019.
September, 2018 – Career Shadowing and Interview Project is introduced in English class
October, 2018 – February, 2019 – Student shadows professional
March 4, 2019 – Last day to submit Shadow Verification Form to English teacher