Moon Area High School Attendance Overview
Because of Moon Area’s commitment to providing students with an exceptional education that fosters achievement, we are concerned when a child misses school or is tardy. The process of education requires instruction that is based on skill building, class participation, and learning experiences. Frequent absences and tardiness to school affect your child’s learning opportunities.
We are certain that you share our concern regarding missed instruction. We do realize that on certain occasions, students will have a necessary and excused absence. Please read the attendance overview. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the building Principal or Main Office.
Arrival: 7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m.
Dismissal: 2:15 p.m.
- Require a written excuse turned in within 3 days after the absence (state law). After 3 days, the absence will be considered unexcused.
- Notes should include the student’s first and last name, grade, reason for absences, and a parent/guardian signature and phone number
- Students should report to the Main Office/Attendance Office when arriving tardy to school
- Require a written excuse turned in within 3 days after the tardy (state law). After 3 days, the tardy will be considered unexcused.
- If tardy is due to a doctor’s appointment, bring a note from the doctor’s office
- Require a hand-written note from a parent/guardian to the Attendance Office by 8:00 a.m.
- Information should include reason for dismissal, student information, and parent/guardian signature and phone number
- Will be verified via telephone call to the parent/guardian
- Homework can be requested through the Main Office/Attendance Office if the student has been absent for 3 or more consecutive days
- Homework can be picked up in the Main Office after 2:30 p.m.
- Pre-existing medical issues require yearly updates from the doctor, for both the nurse and Attendance Office records
- Please complete the vacation request form online or ask for a copy in the Main Office
- Approved form must be on file prior to vacation
- No student will be approved beyond a total of 10 days for the school year
- Assignments will be at the discretion of the teacher. This may include work prior or after the vacation.
- All work assigned must be completed. Work not completed will be evaluated as zero.
EXCUSED LAWFUL ABSENCES (Policy # 204 Pupils)
- Illness, including if a student is dismissed by designated district staff during school hours for health-related reasons. 
- Obtaining professional health care or therapy service rendered by a licensed practitioner of the healing arts in any state, commonwealth or territory. 
- Family emergency
- Recovery from an accident
- Required court attendance
- Death in family
- Participation in a project sponsored by a statewide or countywide group requires prior written request. 
- Observance of a religious holiday observed by bona fide religious group, upon prior written parental request. 
- Non-school-sponsored educational tours or trips, if the following conditions are met: 
- The parent/guardian submits written request for excusal prior to the absence.
- The student’s participation has been approved by the Superintendent or designee.
- The adult directing and supervising the tour or trip is acceptable to the parents/guardians and the Superintendent.
- College or postsecondary institution visit, with prior approval.
- Other urgent reasons. Urgent reasons shall be strictly construed and do not permit irregular attendance. 
EXCUSED LAWFUL ABSENCE PROCEDURES
- 10 absences: Letter notification
- 15 absences: Medical notes only for absence to be excused
- 20 absences: Retention conference and possible removal from school programs
- 25 absences: Assignments will be graded but recorded as zero in gradebook.
UNEXCUSED ABSENCE PROCEDURES
- 3 unexcused: Letter notification
- 6 unexcused: Student Attendance Improvement Conference (SAIC)
- 9 unexcused: Referral to attendance program through Allegheny County
- 12 unexcused: Charges filed with magistrate