Moon Area High School (MAHS) has established a Distinguished Alumni Award program to celebrate the contributions of its alumni.
MAHS is proud of the impact and positive influence our graduates have on people around the world. A vast number of Moon Area’s alumni have gained unique distinction through success in their professions, service to the nation, and contribution to their communities. The district administration and faculty have established the Distinguished Alumni Award to honor outstanding MAHS graduates and to celebrate their achievements.
The inaugural induction will take place in the fall of 2020, with an annual induction to be held each fall during Homecoming Week. Deadline for applications will be May 1, 2020. All applications should be turned in to the Moon Area High School Main Office.
Purpose and Philosophy
The purpose of the Distinguished Alumni Award is to recognize Moon Area High School graduates who have made significant contributions to society and whose accomplishments, affiliations, and careers have honored a legacy of excellence. The Distinguished Alumni Award does more than honor its recipients – it illustrates the value of Moon Area School District’s academic programs and student involvement, while personifying the tradition of pride held by current and former students, staff, and faculty. The award recognizes those men and women who demonstrate the power of the Tiger experience to the people of the community, the nation, and the world.
This distinction will be reflective of Moon Area School District’s core values. Criteria can be met by achieving distinction in any of the three areas, as outlined below:
- Career Achievement or Military Service Distinction: The recipient attained prominence through his or her efforts in commerce, industry, technology, the professions, agriculture, the arts, education, government, military, or other worthy endeavors that form a record of accomplishment remarkable to the citizens of Moon and Crescent Townships or society at large.
- Service to Society: The recipient exhibits integrity and a demonstrated commitment to service through an interest in enhancing the lives of others through volunteer efforts.
- Service and Support to Moon Area School District: The recipient’s deeds and actions reflect the importance of his or her educational training, pride in alma mater, and support to Moon Area School District.
Eligible nominees will have been enrolled and graduated from Moon Area High School. Current Distinguished Alumni committee members are not eligible during their term of service. Former students may be nominated posthumously. This award is given for outstanding achievement and service, therefore, compromises diminishing the significance of the awards will not be made.
Method of Nomination
Nominations will be accepted for a Distinguished Alumni Award by any individual; however, self-nominations will not be permissible.
Nominations and Awards Will Be Accepted and Awarded Using the Following Guidelines:
- Moon Area School District provides an Award Nomination Form. This form will be available for download on the Moon Area School District website.
- In addition to completing and submitting the Award Nomination Form (required), nominators are encouraged to provide supporting items that further distinguish the nominee. Such items include, but are not limited to:
- Letter of nomination written by the nominator (required)
- Letters of support from non-family members that specifically address the criteria (optional, but encouraged)
- Current biography or curriculum vitae for the individual
- Newspaper and magazine articles
- Personal stories
- Awards or certificates of achievement
- Other items of interest
- One nomination per individual will be considered
- Nomination forms will be held and remain active/eligible for a period of three years. If an individual is not selected for the award initially, supporting documentation of accolades and contribution to the community may be submitted for consideration in subsequent years. After three years, the application will expire and a new submission must be made in order for the nominee to be considered.
- No limitation will be placed on the total number of nominations accepted for consideration
- The name of the nominator will not be disclosed without permission
- The school district will collect submitted nominations which will be reviewed and validated
- The school district will submit the nominations to the Distinguished Alumni Committee in advance of the selection meeting
- The committee will meet to discuss nominations for approval into the Distinguished Alumni Award
- The committee will vet all nominees through district administration and the school board
- The committee’s decision will stand as the final decision, no appeal process will take place
The committee looks forward to reviewing and selecting the first class of Distinguished Alumni!