Moon Area Middle School Attendance Overview
Because of Moon Area’s commitment to providing students with an exceptional education that fosters achievement, we are concerned when a child misses school or is tardy. The process of education requires instruction that is based on skill building, class participation, and learning experiences. Frequent absences and tardiness to school affect your child’s learning opportunities.
We are certain that you share our concern regarding missed instruction. We do realize that on certain occasions, students will have a necessary and excused absence. Please read the attendance overview. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the building Principal or Main Office.
Arrival: 7:20 a.m. - 7:40 a.m.
Dismissal: 2:40 p.m.
Attendance Clerk: Diana Brown
- Require a written excuse turned in within 3 days after the absence (state law)
- Notes should include a parent/guardian phone number, student grade, and reason for absence
- Students should be accompanied by a parent/guardian to the Attendance Office when reporting to school tardy unless the student provides a note from a parent/guardian or doctor
- Require a written excuse turned in within 3 days after the tardy (state law)
- If tardy is due to a doctor’s appointment, bring a note from the doctor’s office
- A reason for the tardy is required in order to be excused
- Require a hand-written note from a parent/guardian, including a phone number and student grade
- Parent/guardian is required to come into the Attendance Office to sign out the student
- Include the Attendance Office in any email sent to teachers regarding early releases. The student will receive a pass to get out of class from the Attendance Office
- If leaving to go to a doctor appointment, have child return to school with an excuse from the doctor’s office
- The time on the excuse is the time the student will be released from class
- Homework can be requested through the Guidance Office by 9:00 a.m. (412) 264-9440 ext. 3010
- Homework can be picked up in the Guidance Office after 2:30 p.m.
- Pre-existing medical issues require yearly updates from the doctor, for both the nurse and Attendance Office records
- Only 4 additional students can be added to an alternate bus each day
- A written note from a guardian with the alternate bus number on it is required
- Please complete the vacation request form online or ask for a copy in the Attendance Office or Main Office
- Approved form must be on file prior to vacation
- No student will be approved beyond a total of 10 days for the school year
- Assignments will be at the discretion of the teacher. This may include work prior or after the vacation.
- All work assigned must be completed. Work not completed will be evaluated as zero
EXCUSED LAWFUL ABSENCES (Policy # 204 Pupils)
- Illness, including if a student is dismissed by designated district staff during school hours for health-related reasons. 
- Obtaining professional health care or therapy service rendered by a licensed practitioner of the healing arts in any state, commonwealth or territory. 
- Family emergency
- Recovery from an accident
- Required court attendance
- Death in family
- Participation in a project sponsored by a statewide or countywide 4-H, FFA, or combined 4-H and FFA group, upon prior written request. 
- Observance of a religious holiday observed by bona fide religious group, upon prior written parental request. 
- Non-school-sponsored educational tours or trips, if the following conditions are met: 
- The parent/guardian submits written request for excusal prior to the absence.
- The student’s participation has been approved by the Superintendent or designee.
- The adult directing and supervising the tour or trip is acceptable to the parents/guardians and the Superintendent.
- College or postsecondary institution visit, with prior approval.
- Other urgent reasons. Urgent reasons shall be strictly construed and do not permit irregular attendance. 
EXCUSED LAWFUL ABSENCE PROCEDURES
- 10 absences: Letter notification
- 15 absences: Medical notes only for absence to be excused
- 20 absences: Retention conference and possible removal from school programs
- 25 absences: Assignments will be graded but recorded as zero in gradebook.
UNEXCUSED ABSENCE PROCEDURES
- 3 unexcused: Letter notification
- 6 unexcused: Student Attendance Improvement Conference (SAIC)
- 9 unexcused: Referral to attendance program through Allegheny County
- 12 unexcused: Charges filed with magistrate