Moon Area School District is proud of the impact and positive influence our graduates have on people around the world. A vast number of Moon Area’s alumni have gained unique distinction through success in their professions, service to the nation, and contribution to their communities. The district administration and faculty have established the Distinguished Alumni Award to honor outstanding MASD graduates and to celebrate their achievements.
Purpose and Philosophy
The purpose of the Distinguished Alumni Award is to recognize Moon Area School District graduates who have made significant contributions to society and whose accomplishments, affiliations, and careers have honored a legacy of excellence. The Distinguished Alumni Award does more than honor its recipients – it illustrates the value of Moon Area School District's academic programs and student involvement, while personifying the tradition of pride held by current and former students, staff, and faculty. The award recognizes those men and women who demonstrate the power of the Tiger experience to the people of the community, the nation, and the world.
This distinction will be reflective of Moon Area School District’s core values. Criteria can be met by achieving distinction in any of the three areas as outlined below:
- Career Achievement or Military Service Distinction: The recipient attained prominence through his or her efforts in commerce, industry, technology, the professions, agriculture, the arts, education, government, military, or other worthy endeavors that form a record of accomplishment remarkable to the citizens of Moon and Crescent Townships or society at large.
- Service to Society: The recipient exhibits integrity and a demonstrated commitment to service through an interest in enhancing the lives of others through volunteer efforts.
- Service and Support to Moon Area School District: The recipient’s deeds and actions reflect the importance of his or her educational training, pride in alma mater, and support to Moon Area School District.
Eligible nominees will have been enrolled and graduated from Moon Area School District. Current Distinguished Alumni committee members are not eligible during their term of service. Former students may be nominated posthumously. This award is given for outstanding achievement and service. Compromises diminishing the significance of the awards will not be made.
Method of Nomination
Nominations will be accepted for a Distinguished Alumni Award by any individual; however, self-nominations will not be permissible.
All nominations will be reviewed by a committee. If selected, nominees will then be invited to complete the full distinguished alumni application.
We understand that a nominator may not be able to share the level of detail about a nominee's accomplishments as they could provide about themself. Therefore, if a nominee meets the award criteria, they will move on to round two. At that point, they will be invited to complete the MASD Distinguished Alumni application. Round two may be completed by the nominee or by a close family member or friend on the nominee's behalf if they are unable to complete the application. The process for the MASD Distinguished Alumni application is below.
- Moon Area School District provides an online Award Nomination Application. If a nominator is unable to complete the application online, they may email Kristen Frankovich at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy or download it here.
- In addition to completing and submitting the Award Nomination Application (required), nominators are encouraged to provide supporting items that further distinguish the nominee. Such items include, but are not limited to:
- Letter of nomination written by the nominator (required)
- Letters of support from non-family members that specifically address the criteria (optional, but encouraged)
- Current biography or curriculum vitae for the individual
- Newspaper and magazine articles
- Personal stories
- Awards or certificates of achievement
- Other items of interest
- One nomination per individual will be considered.
- Nomination forms will be held for a period of five years. If an individual is not selected for the award, his or her Award Nomination application may be updated and renewed by the original or other appropriate nominator for consideration in a subsequent year. The District will contact nominators for annual renewals.
- No limitation will be placed on the total number of nominations accepted for consideration.
- The name of the nominator will not be disclosed without permission.
- The school district will collect submitted nominations which will be reviewed and validated.
- The school district will submit the nominations to the Distinguished Alumni Committee in advance of the selection meeting.
- The committee will meet to discuss nominations for approval into the Distinguished Alumni Award.
- The committee will vet all nominees through district administration and the school board.
- The committee’s decision will stand as the final decision, no appeal process will take place.
Distinguished Alumni Timeline
Nominations for the Moon Area School District Distinguished Alumni Award can be submitted at any time. However, in order to have applications reviewed, there is a cutoff date for each year.
June 17, 2022 -- Round one nominations are due. Click to submit a nomination.
Week of June 20, 2021 -- Applications will be notified if they are selected to move on to round two
July 29, 2022 -- Round two applications are due. Click to submit an application.
Week of August 1, 2022 -- Award winners will be notified.
September 16, 2022 -- Award winners are invited to attend MASD Homecoming!
Moon Area School District Distinguished Alumni Award Committee Members
Distinguished alumni nominations will be evaluated by a five-person committee. Committee members will serve a two-year term and be responsible for discussing, vetting, and choosing award nominees.
The committee comprised of five people will each represent one of the following categories:
- Legacy Community Member – This person has longstanding ties to the District such as a retiree or an individual that has lived in the community for several years.
- Current High School Administrator
- Current High School Teacher
- Moon Area High School Alumnus
- Moon Area Business / Community Leader
Each member can cast one vote per applicant. Members will serve a minimum two-year term and can reapply to continue as a committee member at the end of their term.