Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

FAQ: Free & Reduced Price Meals

Apply online at

Children need healthy meals to learn. Moon Area School District offers healthy meals every school day. Meal prices for the 2023-2024 school year are as follows:  

  • Breakfast: FREE for all Students
  • Middle & High School Lunch: $3.00
  • Elementary Lunch:  $2.85

Your child(ren) may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. As part of the Govenor's Initiative Reduced price meals are FREE for lunch. 

The following questions and answers will provide information about the Free and Reduced-Price Meal Program.


If you have received a NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION for free meals, do not complete the application. But, do let the school know if any children in your household are not listed on the Notice of Direct Certification letter you received.


FAQ Quick Guide


Who can get free or reduced price meals? 
All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP, FDPIR, or TANF, are eligible for free meals.

  • Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
  • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
  • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
  • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.

How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant, or runaway? 
Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please contact Michael Haslett at 412-264-9440 ext. 1114 or email

Do I need to fill out an application for each child? 
No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.

Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are already approved for free meals? 
No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Christie Leininger, 412-264-9440 ext. 1129 or via email immediately.

Can I apply online? 
Yes! The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit to begin or to learn more about the online application process. If you need a paper application contact Christie Leininger 412-264-9440 ext. 1129 or if you have any questions about the online application.

My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one? 
Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

I get WIC. Can my children get free meals? 
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please send in an application.

Will the information I give be checked?
Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? 
Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? 
You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Superintendent Mr. Barry Balaski, 8353 University Blvd. Moon Township, Pa.15108; by calling 412-264-9440 ext. 1105; and/or by emailing

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? 
Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.

What if my income is not always the same? 
List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

What if some household members have no income to report? 
Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

We are in the military. Do we report our income differently? 
Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

What if there isn’t enough space on the application for my family? 
List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Christie Leininger, 412-264-9440 ext. 1129 to receive a second application.

My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? 
To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits visit, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-692-7462.

If you have other questions or need help, contact:


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights

regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating

in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national

origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity

conducted or funded by USDA.


Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g.

Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or

local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech

disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally,

program information may be made available in languages other than English.


To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint

Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any

USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information

requested in the form.


To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your

completed form or letter to USDA by:


(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

 Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

 1400 Independence Avenue, SW

 Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) E-mail:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.